Remember the time Jira was a new kid on the block? It was a nice simple to use, value for your money, yet extremely reliable tool. Well that kid is now grown into a complex tool, offered as too many pieces of a puzzle and of course, getting costlier every time a newer combination is offered.
SoftAgile™ is built through 10+ years of experience of outsourcing, building and managing a 400+ strong enterprise product team. It therefore enjoyed advantage to learn from the pioneers, the good features, but also identify some major gaps from existing offerings.
SoftAgile™ philosophy is an easy-to-use, highly integrated, built for transformation from waterfall to agile, an agile project tool that lets team craft great software!!!
Here is how SoftAgile™ works for team, compared to Jira!
- SoftAgile™ and SoftALM® provides solution customized specific to product or project focused teams.
- The product teams, such as software product makers or large IT groups, look for Agile ALM Tools as these tools essentially covers the lifecycle of a product - from product definition, project built to develop, software development sprints, product quality and customer support.
- Project driven teams such as software services teams or small IT groups prefer agile project tools as these tools allows an outsourcing services company to define a project to develop an application for a customer using customer defined features, plan project and develop software. Thus, define product and verify quality modules of a typical Agile ALM tools are absent in project tools.
- When we were building SoftALM® with a combination of product and project driven customers, we appreciated this difference. Thus we first built SoftALM® - an Agile ALM tool for the product teams and then we carved out SoftAgile™ from it, for project driven teams.
- Jira is built as a project tool, more for complex workflow configuration with no focus.
- SoftAgile™ is built for transforming your waterfall teams to Agile! Jira provides multiple templates for different projects.
- Transitioning your team from waterfall to Agile is a transformation of team. It is because while waterfall is a development methodology, agile at first and foremost an attitude!
- The incremental, iterative and interactive nature of agile requires team to move on three levels. While a waterfall team works on requirements, an agile team on a story. Many agile teams see story as a group of requirements. SoftAgile™ provides this feature-story-requirements hierarchy to facilitate the transition. Similarly, acceptance testing can be series of test cases that can be traced to story requirements. SoftAgile™ therefore provides test cases, testing cycles and regression. Finally, agile teams thrive on customer feedbacks and works collaboratively with customer feedback. SoftAgile™ provides customer access directly into software and be part of the team through customer role with configurable access.
- SoftAgile™ provides an integrated tool for project teams, while to get some functionality Jira needs you buying lot many plugins.
- SoftAgile™ not only provides Agile project capabilities but also agile teams, backlog with requirement management, test case management, regression, release and version management, along with issue and customer management, thereby providing an end-to-end experience along with. Jira will need Confluence and Zephyr plugins for backlog and testing management. Jira also has no customer or release management capabilities.
- SoftAgile™ allow you to plan for a release with multiple application versions for multiple customers. In Jira you will need to build multiple versions and manage them as separate release for otherwise common stories.
- As an agile ALM Tool maker, our single Agile ALM project release contains multiple applications along with customer specific version, with some variation of stories. Thus, SoftAgile™ makes it simple and easy, while Jira creates additional work and hence complexity.
- SoftAgile™ provides an issue management module so issues are reviewed and then prioritized and automatically added to backlog as per review decision and priority. This ensures that backlog is uncluttered and prioritized.
- Furthermore, SoftAgile™ provides a customer dashboard to get customer specific views. In Jira, issues go directly to project.
- Architecturally, SoftAgile™ provide automatic traceability for feature, story, requirements, test cases, dogs, defects and issues with customer and applications. In Jira, no out-of-box traceability is provided, but a plugin can be separately bought with additional tracking efforts.
- SoftAgile™ is built for use at out-of-box! Jira needs installation and configuration by experts and training before team can start using it.
- SoftAgile™ is installed on a server in less than few minutes and comes with out-of-box standard agile configuration and access by roles. You can, of course, further configure to customize the workflow.
- SoftAgile™ Access is driven by roles can be changed easily in few seconds. More specific roles can be added.
- SoftAgile™ provides on-page tour and help for getting your team train fast.
- Jira Configuration and role access has grown long and complex.
- SoftAgile™ makes it easy, Jira has grown complex.
Jira, in its quest to be an enterprise tool, has grown complex. The easy flow of SoftAgile™ is compared to Jira below:
- Agility is an attitude, a state of mind to move fast without losing quality but also without hierarchical burdens. SoftAgile™ builds on this at every instance to make things easy on team, so they can focus on crafting great software!